Do you want to know whether your society is doomed? Watch money.
“Watch money. Money is the barometer of society’s virtue.
- When you see that trading is done not by consent but by compulsion
- when you see that in order to produce you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing
- when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods but in favors
- when you see that men get rich more easily by graft than by work, and your laws no longer protect you against them, but protect them against you
- when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice
- then you will know that your society is doomed.”
Ayn Rand (emphasis added)
Millions of people who have read Ayn Rand’s 1957 monumental work “Atlas Shrugged” must have been impressed by an insert that could be entitled “Hymn to Money”. This insert is buried in the 1600 pages of the novel and is difficult to find. However, it is a self-contained literary masterpiece in its own right. For these reasons it may be a good idea to publish it separately. Complete article HERE
* The publishing of this image does not imply that the author endorse this article.
Disclaimer: The views expressed in these articles are the sole responsibility of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect those of CanadaNewsLibre. The contents of these articles are of sole responsibility of the author(s). CanadaNewsLibre will not be responsible or liable for any inaccurate or incorrect statements. The CNL grants permission to cross-post original CanadaNewsLibre articles on community internet sites as long as the text & title are not modified. The source and the author’s copyright must be displayed. http://canadanewslibre may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available to our readers under the provisions of “fair use” in an effort to advance a better understanding of political, economic and social issues. The material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving it for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material for purposes other than “fair use” you must request permission from the copyright owner.
ↄ⃝ Copyleft CanadaNewsLibre 2012